Daily Maverick is one of South Africa’s most stimulating free-to air high-end online publications with a unique blend of news, information, expert analysis and opinion. Their main focus is quality reporting told in a unique writing style and is known best as a 100% original content publisher. Their readers largely consist of decision-makers in business, government and entrepreneurs.
How does Daily Maverick utilise Email Marketing?
The objective of Daily Maverick’s email marketing strategy is to:
- Grow their newsletter subscriber database
- Produce quality content and update subscribers on latest news and events
- Drive traffic to their website
Statistics show that 74% of South African email users only subscribe to newsletters that have relevant, expert and exclusive content. With this in mind Daily Maverick sends out the “First Thing” email every weekday morning. The email will tell you what happened while you were sleeping, giving subscribers a heads-up on upcoming events for the day as well as access to selected articles on Daily Maverick’s website.
Quality signups and readership loyalty are the key drivers behind Daily Maverick’s implementation of subscription forms. Daily Maverick builds their database by making use of online subscriptions where subscribers consent to receive email communications.
Daily Maverick makes use of Everlytic’s double opt-in subscription forms to ensure a quality database of their most interested and active subscribers. Double opt-in is the process of sending a confirmation email following an opt-in request. The confirmation email requires the subscriber to confirm their subscription by clicking on a link within the confirmation email. Once subscribers have clicked on the link they will be considered confirmed and will start receiving the “First Thing” email.
Expectations are set upfront when subscribers signup for the “First Thing” email. They are informed about the following:
Benefits of Subscribing: Daily Maverick outlines the value of opting in by focusing on subscriber benefits with access to exclusive content
Content: The type of communication subscribers will receive
Frequency: “First Thing” newsletter is sent every weekday morning
Preview: A preview of the most recent “First Thing” email is included as an example of what subscribers can expect and what they’re opting into.
To boost subscriptions, Daily Maverick ensures that their email communications remain relevant at all times.
How do they measure the results?
For statistics and analysis Daily Maverick makes use of the following tools to measure their results:
- Google Analytics to track the engagement from their email communications to their site
- Everlytic’s email message reporting that reports on all activity within the specific email communication
- Everlytic’s list reporting to measure the growth on their subscriber database
The effectiveness of subscription forms and relevant email communications contributed to Daily Maverick achieving phenomenal growth on their subscriber database:
- Daily Maverick started sending email communications in 2010. Since then their database has grown by 600%
- Monthly visitors to the site almost doubled to 200 000 visitors in the last year
- Traffic from their newsletter contributes up to 18% of total traffic to the website